Welcome to DCN’s weekly roundup of coffee events! Hosting an online event that’s free or nearly free to attend? Let us know here.
Due to an overwhelming number of requests and our desire to keep the calendar inclusive but not promotional, recurring home brewing tutorials or other daily digital hangs sponsored by individual coffee companies have been removed from the calendar.
Coffee Break: A Virtual Cafe to Support Local Coffee Through the Coronavirus
- Host: Multiple meetups/locations
- Day/Time: Daily at various times depending on region
- Register/Information: Coffee Break Website
- Description: COFFEE BREAK’S mission is to bring people together from all walks of life to support their local cafes and coffee companies during this challenging time. Do you buy coffee? Do you have a favorite local cafe you go to multiple times a week? Then this is for you. Come meet up with your favorite baristas and friends, drink homemade coffee, talk with one another and if you can, donate a few dollars and/or buy coffee and merchandise online.
RNY Lab Community Meeting
- Host: Royal New York (RNY)
- Day/Time: Monday-Friday, 3-4 p.m. Eastern
- Register/Information: RNY Lab
- Description: The RNY Lab Community Meeting is a place for all of us to come together and share our ideas, challenges, successes, as well as share needed resources and information as they become available. At the RNY Lab, we don’t want to pretend we have all the answers, especially in terms of the current situation. We are all learning every day as a community, so we need you, all of you, to help support each other the best we can.
- Notes: This meeting is hosted daily at 3pm EST with a rotating topic but, anyone is welcome to bring other topics to the meeting as well! Also, topic suggestions can be entered here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q66XPNW
Tuesday, May 5
Responsible use of Agro-Inputs for Coffee in Vietnam
- Host: Global Coffee Platform
- Time: 3 p.m. Amsterdam/Berlin
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: Join GCP and the Vietnam Country Platform in discussing the forthcoming Collective Action Initiative focused on improving the use of agro-inputs in Vietnam. Participants will be shown how pre-competitive joint action will not only address a critical issue for Vietnam’s coffee production, but also provide the opportunity for members to reduce their risk and leverage resources with other co-funders.
DJ Disarray Live every Tuesday Night!
- Host: DJ Disarray
- Time: 7-9 p.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: DJ Disarray
- Description: So while this isn’t technically a coffee event, everyone loves good music, and the feller behind the turntables is none other than Ray of Unpacking Coffee and Needmore Designs fame. Tune in every week and chill out with good vibes, pleasing tunes, and good humor!
- Notes: It’s every Tuesday from 7-9PM PDT! Until all this crap is over!!
Thursday, May 7
Barista Yoga Every Thursday
- Host: United Baristas, #BaristaCare
- Time: 10:30 a.m. GMT
- Register/Information: Event website
- Description: #BaristaCare is connecting the coffee community for a weekly yoga session led by yoga instructor Erin, Yoga Den London
Caravela Coffee Guided Farm Tour
- Host: Caravela Coffee
- Time: 1 p.m. EST
- Register/Information: Caravela Coffee Instagram @caravelacoffee
- Description: The Caravela Relationship Building team, which is usually traveling to farms with roasters to develop close relationships between roasters and producers, continues to work from home. Now, more than ever, those relationships need to be kept alive and strong. Therefore, they are organizing a weekly live farm tour via the @caravelacoffee Instagram account on Thursdays at 1 p.m. EST.
New Norms in Cupping & Quality Control
- Host: Royal Coffee
- Time: 11 a.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: Zoom registration
- Description: As the country begins to reopen for business, how should coffee professionals adapt to the “new” normal when it comes to cupping & QC protocols? Join The Crown’s Education and Lab Manager Chris Kornman, Tasting Room Director Sandra Elisa Loofbourow, and Trader Caitlin McCarthy-Garcia as they discuss how best to navigate these vital aspects of the coffee business.
Guatemala Origin Report
- Host: Genuine Origin
- Time: 1-2 p.m. EST
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: Join Genuine Origin as we talk to team members from Volcafe Guatemala, our sister company in Guatemala. The presentation will build off of Genuine Origin’s recent Guatemala Origin Report. This Zoom webinar will explore trends and challenges in Guatemalan coffee farming, sourcing specialty coffee in Guatemala and helping farmers achieve sustainable profitability. The team will also discuss the cup profiles and qualities that they are seeing at origin.
Digital AA Meeting for Coffee People
- Time: 4 p.m. CST every Thursday
- Register/Information: Zoom Channel 475-069-379
- Description: Weekly digital AA meeting for coffee people. All are welcome.
Friday, May 8
Rust: A History
Monday, May 11
Boot Coffee Weekly Webinar
- Host: Boot Coffee
- Time: 9 a.m. PDT every Monday
- Register/Information: coffeecampus.com/blog
- Description: Weekly discussion with coffee experts working in various disciplines from farming to exporting/importing, roasting, and retailers. Open and transparent communication is essential right now. Join Boot Coffee for constructive and creative discussions exploring ways the coffee community continues to evolve and adapt and strategize.
Nick Brown is the editor of Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine. Feedback and story ideas are welcome at publisher (at) dailycoffeenews.com, or see the “About Us” page for contact information.