Welcome to DCN’s weekly roundup of coffee events! Hosting an online event that’s free or nearly free to attend? Let us know here.
Due to an overwhelming number of requests and our desire to keep the calendar inclusive but not promotional, recurring home brewing tutorials or other daily digital hangs sponsored by individual coffee companies have been removed from the calendar.
Coffee Break: A Virtual Cafe to Support Local Coffee Through the Coronavirus
- Host: Multiple meetups/locations
- Day/Time: Daily at various times depending on region
- Register/Information: Coffee Break Website
- Description: COFFEE BREAK’S mission is to bring people together from all walks of life to support their local cafes and coffee companies during this challenging time. Do you buy coffee? Do you have a favorite local cafe you go to multiple times a week? Then this is for you. Come meet up with your favorite baristas and friends, drink homemade coffee, talk with one another and if you can, donate a few dollars and/or buy coffee and merchandise online.
Talk Story with Pacific Coffee Research
- Host: Pacific Coffee Research
- Day/Time: Every Monday and Friday in May and June at 10 a.m. HST/ 1 p.m. PDT / 4 p.m. EDT
- Register/Information: PCR Coffee Instagram
- Description: Throughout the months of May and June, Pacific Coffee Research is hosting a Talk Story series via Instagram Live. We’re inviting friends and colleagues from around the Hawaiian islands and nation to sit down with us (virtually) to simply have a conversation. We’re going to talk about coffee, life, projects, and anything the conversation brings up. This is our opportunity to reconnect with folks online who we’d normally see in person on a pretty regular basis! Guests will include coffee producers, roasters, traders, scientists, engineers, families, and all around wonderful people.
Tuesday, May 26
Innovation in Coffee Communities
- Host: Coffee Kids and Hanns R. Neumann Stiftung
- Time: 12 p.m. Eastern (U.S. and Canada)
- Register/Information: Webinar #2: Exploring gender inclusion within farming families and organizations
- Description: Patriarchal norms and customs often limit the voice of women in the household. This not only affects their access to household resources, but also their say in household finances and decision-making. Promoting a gender-conscious farmer household allows for joint decision-making and planning, which ultimately benefits not only women but also the entire family. We want to discuss with you the question, how can we ensure women have access to the tools and the spaces so that their voices can shape their families and communities at large?
DJ Disarray Live every Tuesday Night!
- Host: DJ Disarray
- Time: 7-9 p.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: DJ Disarray
- Description: So while this isn’t technically a coffee event, everyone loves good music, and the feller behind the turntables is none other than Ray of Unpacking Coffee and Needmore Designs fame. Tune in every week and chill out with good vibes, pleasing tunes, and good humor!
- Notes: It’s every Tuesday from 7-9PM PDT! Until all this crap is over!!
Thursday, May 28
Barista Yoga Every Thursday
- Host: United Baristas, #BaristaCare
- Time: 10:30 a.m. GMT
- Register/Information: Event website
- Description: #BaristaCare is connecting the coffee community for a weekly yoga session led by yoga instructor Erin, Yoga Den London
Digitalisation of the Coffee Value Chain: Let’s Start Talking. Webinar #1: What is Coffee Digitalization?
- Host: Expressing Origin and Vuna Origin Consulting
- Time: 5-6 p.m. Central European Time (CET)
- Register/Information: Webinar series link
- Description: The first webinar will focus the conversation by framing the context of the digitalisation of the coffee value chain. The panel will present technical aspects and best practices, as well as insights from both the conventional and the specialty coffee perspective. More specifically, the speakers will discuss the digitalisation of the coffee value chain indicating which solutions fall under this category. The goal is understanding the functionalities, trying to highlight differences and similarities of these solutions. What does it mean to provide farm management and logistics support? In the case of implementing a tracking system, how does translate in the value chain? There are solutions that track coffee deliveries from the farmers to the cooperatives and others that go all the way up to the consumers. What about e-commerce?
Volcafe Way Annual Report
- Host: Genuine Origin
- Time: 10 a.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: Zoom Link
- Description: The Volcafe Way is the global farm sustainability arm of Volcafe (Genuine Origin’s parent company). With hundreds of field technicians worldwide, Volcafe Way is helping thousands of farmers improve their production and move toward sustainable profitability. Join Genuine Origin as we take an in depth look at the results in Volcafe Way’s 2019 Annual Report. During this session we will hear from the Volcafe Way’s Leadership. We’ll learn more about the success and expansion of the program and the strategies and tactics employed in helping farmers achieve the goal of sustainable profitability.
Green Coffee Logistics
- Host: Royal Coffee
- Time: 11 a.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: Join our Inbound Specialist, Jodi Louws, Director of Operations, Jennifer Huber, and The Crown’s Education & Lab Manager, Chris Kornman, to learn more about how green coffee gets to you. We’ll take a look into the behind the scenes work and what goes into bringing coffee from origin to roasters.
Caravela Coffee Guided Farm Tour
- Host: Caravela Coffee
- Time: 1 p.m. EST
- Register/Information: Caravela Coffee Instagram @caravelacoffee
- Description: The Caravela Relationship Building team, which is usually traveling to farms with roasters to develop close relationships between roasters and producers, continues to work from home. Now, more than ever, those relationships need to be kept alive and strong. Therefore, they are organizing a weekly live farm tour via the @caravelacoffee Instagram account on Thursdays at 1 p.m. EST.
Digital AA Meeting for Coffee People
- Time: 4 p.m. CST every Thursday
- Register/Information: Zoom Channel 475-069-379
- Description: Weekly digital AA meeting for coffee people. All are welcome.
Monday, June 1
Boot Coffee Weekly Webinar
- Host: Boot Coffee
- Time: 9 a.m. PDT every Monday
- Register/Information: coffeecampus.com/blog
- Description: Weekly discussion with coffee experts working in various disciplines from farming to exporting/importing, roasting, and retailers. Open and transparent communication is essential right now. Join Boot Coffee for constructive and creative discussions exploring ways the coffee community continues to evolve and adapt and strategize.